As the world changes globally, so do all aspects of human life. From the way, people are moving from one place to another to how infants are fed.
How Long Does A Can Of Formula Last? A can of formula can last between two to three weeks if the baby is taking 60 -90ml every four hours. This can change depending on the baby’s feeding habits.
Breastfeeding was the dominant way of feeding newborns. But due to factors like women going back to work or lack of enough breast milk for feeding the little one a parent may be forced to feed the young one with formula.
Giving the child formula is one way to provide the child with healthy and nutritious food. Some people are still skeptical about it, especially since everyone knows that the baby should be breastfed exclusively for six months.
The formula has a lot of similarities with breast milk because they both contain nutrients that the child needs. It also hydrates and gives energy that the little one’s body requires when growing up.
This is for the babies who are given formula exclusively. If a mother is breastfeeding and supplementing with formula, then the baby may have smaller portions.
Although there may be instances that will make them feed more or less. When the baby reaches one month, then the quantity may increase to 4 ounces or 120 ml of formula per feeding.
This will increase as the baby grows and it’s needed. However, you shouldn’t stick to a certain amount of ml of milk for every feeding be observant and let the child communicate when he /she is full.
You will know that by the way, they behave if the child finishes the milk in the bottle and continue to suck on it, then they may still be hungry. Even though you have put the exact amount.
If they are distracted during feeding and keep playing with the bottle, then they are probably full. Don’t hesitate to talk to your pediatrician if your baby’s feeding habits are making you concerned.
How Many Bottles do you get From One Bottle of formula?
The number of bottles that you will get from a can of the formula depends on the size of containers that you are using. The different ml bottles will make the number vary from time to time.
For example, if you buy a can of formula that is 600g, then you will get 32.5 bottles that are 4oz. If you purchase a can that is 800g if you are still using the 4oz bottles then you will have 42.5.
It is essential to read the instructions on the container carefully. Once you have opened a tub of powder, you should ensure that you use it up within a month.
Remember to seal it after using it every single time. If there is a reason why you will not be able to finish the can within the month, then you can talk to your doctor so that he can advise you. Refrigerate an already mixed bottle of formula to keep it fresh.
How to Prepare Baby Formula
The formula needs to be balanced so that the baby can receive the necessary nutrients required for healthy growth. If not then the child may have serious implications, especially if they rely on formula exclusively.
There are two types of formulas in the market. The ready to feed formula and powdered one. If you feel unsure about how to mix the rations then getting a ready to feed formula is the best way to go.
You shouldn’t add any water to these formulas; give the baby the way it is. You should shake it first before you warm and feed it to the baby.
- If you buy the powdered can then you should do the following before you start mixing it. Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water. Cleaning under your fingernails is a priority.
- Check for the expiry date on the container, if the can have a dent then doesn’t use that formula for feeding your child.
- Wipe off any dust on the container and ensure that the can opener is clean.
- After cleaning the equipment with hot water, you should boil water and let it cool to room temperature. Make sure it is room temperature; otherwise, it can cause clamps if it is too hot. It will also reduce the nutritional value of milk.
- When you are done, test the temperature of the milk by sprinkling a few drops on your wrist before giving it to your baby.
As cumbersome as it may seem, boiling water is still the best method to ensure that the water is safe for mixing formula.
Bottled or filtered water should be used when there is no other alternative. Put in the fridge immediately you are done preparing the formula.
How to warm already made formula
You can feed the baby the formula without warming it. However, if you feel the need to do so, you can hold the bottle under a tap of warm running water or put it in a bowl with warm water. Do not microwave it because that can cause hot spots that can burn the child’s mouth.
How to store formula in the right way
After opening the can of powdered formula store it in a tightly sealed container that should be placed in a cool and dry place. Please do not put it in the fridge.
- Remove the container from a place that is too cold or too hot.
- Finish the opened milk powder in one month
- Do not freeze the formula because it will make the fat and proteins separate.
- You should always throw away the formula that the baby started taking but hasn’t finished within an hour.
Do not reuse baby formula. The bottle may be contaminated by the baby’s saliva when they are feeding so when you reheat; the bacteria may still be alive and cause issues.
If you are using a ready to feed formula, then put them in a place with room temperature. Avoid placing them in direct sunlight. You can leave the bottles of formula in the carton until you are ready to use the milk.
When using the formula to feed your baby, it is essential to ensure that the bottles the baby will use are cleaned well. Sanitize them thoroughly with steam.
There are many types of equipment that can be used to do this without stressing you out. Be mindful of the water you will use when mixing the formula. It would be best if you refrained from mixing old milk with new ones.
Advantages of feeding a baby with formula
- Giving the child with nutrients.
- There are certain situations where the mother’s body is not healed. This can lead to her being too weak to feed her baby. In case she tries to do so her body may not be able to stimulate enough milk for the baby to be full so the formula can take care of that.
- In case the mother of the child is not around formula will supplement breast milk well.
- Fathers can also bond with their baby’s when feeding them.
- In case the mother is suffering from an illness that can be transmitted to the baby through breastfeeding.
Disadvantage of formula
- During the preparation process if the person doing it is not sensitive to hygiene, then the baby may be infected by germs which will cause diseases. Diarrhea may occur due to the germs
- Formulas tend to be expensive, so if the child is taking it exclusively, it will cost a lot.
Whether you are giving your child formula alone or supplementing breast milk, the most important thing is to do what’s best for the baby’s health.
Always consult with your pediatrician before you try anything new, even after doing your research. Some things might sound great but they have to be best for the baby’s health. Remember, a baby’s welfare always comes first.