Crocheting a baby blanket is so special. Especially, if you are doing it for a baby that is special and close to your heart. The only problem that a new person to crochet has, is the size of a crocheted blanket.
There are different sizes, and an expert will tell you that different sizes are recommended for different needs.
But the question still remains about what is the good size for a crocheted baby blanket. If you are looking for the right size blanket for a baby that will last for a couple of months, or even a year or two.
What is a Good Size for a Crocheted Baby Blanket? With research, most crochet experts are saying that a 34 inch by 46 inches is a good size crochet blanket for a baby.
One thing that you need to make sure about, is that there are different information and tips that you need to know when it comes to crocheting baby blankets. This is everything that you need to know.
What is the Best Size for a Baby Blanket?
Before you decide on what the best size crochet blanket for a baby is, there are a couple of things you need to know. One of these things is the purpose of the baby blanket. Is this a blanket for his crib, or his stroller?
For you to make sure that you are going to select the right size crochet blanket, you will need to have these average sizes of different baby blankets. This will make it easier for you to decide on the size you need to crochet.
- For a receiving blanket for a baby, the right size will be 28*34 inches.
- For a preemie baby, the best size crocket blanket will be 18*20 inches. Larger if the preemie is a bit larger.
- Normal baby crochet blanket, the right, and the most recommended size are 34*46 inches.
- If you want the baby blanket to last until the baby is a toddler, then you should recommend the size of 42*58 inches.
- For a baby crib crochet blanket, you should consider the size as 30*36 inches.
- A standard crib quilt should be about 36*54 Inches.
You need to remember that these are just estimates. To give you an idea about the size of your crochet blanket for a baby. You should use your own discretion and the need of the baby when you decide what size will be best for the baby.
What is the Best Crochet Stitch for a Baby Blanket?
You know now the size of a recommended crochet baby blanket. But if you are a beginner, there is still a couple of things you need to know and consider. One of these things is the type of crochet stitches that will be perfect for a baby blanket.
As you already might know, is that there are a couple of different stitches that you can use when you are crocheting. And, this can make it hard to choose the stitch that will be great for a baby.
With this guide, you will know for sure about what stitch you can use for crocheting a baby blanket. These stitches are great for a baby blanket.
- For an easy stitch that you can crochet for a thicker blanket, you can make use of the cross-over block stitch. It is easy to do, especially if you are following the guide.
- The side saddle stitch is also an easy-to-do crochet stitch. But it looks complicated when you are finished. You are actually only going to use a combination of single crochets, double crochets, and chains.
- The Wattle Stitch. A versatile stitch that you can use for more than just baby blankets. However, you might want to practice these stitches if you want to get them right.
- The cluster stitches. Another great stitch that is easier to do than what most people think. This is the one stitch that is the easiest to learn if you know the different crochet stitch guides.
- V Double Crochet stitch. This is the one stitch that most people are using when they are crocheting a blanket. Especially, if they are crocheting a blanket for a baby. The stitch is easy to do and crochet a blanket in no time.
How Many Chains Do You Need to Crochet a Baby Blanket?
The other question that many people have is the number of chains that you need when you are crocheting a baby blanket. The amount of chains you are crocheting is going to set the length or width of the blanket.
And, this is why it is important to make sure that you know the correct size of chains needed. These are some of the chains that you need for the different sizes of baby blankets.
- Chain 150 for about a blanket of 36*36 inch
- Chain 150 for a blanket of 36*54 Inches. Just make more rows.
- Chain 175 for a blanket of 40*60 inches.
Just remember that these are just estimates. It will differ from the thickness of the wool that you are using, and the thickness of the crochet needle.
How Many Skeins of Yarn Do You Need to Crochet a Baby Blanket?
It is impossible to say exactly how many skeins of yarn you will need to crochet a baby blanket.
The amount of yard needed will depend on the thickness of the wool, your size crochet needle, and the type of stitch you are using. However, normally you would need anything between four to six skeins of yarn to crochet a normal size baby blanket.
If the yarn is thicker then you might need less yarn. The thinner the yarn, the more you will need.
You should also remember that some of the crochet stitches are taking more yarn than other types of stitches. There are a lot of things you need to take into consideration when you want to calculate how much yarn you are going to need.
What is the Best Yarn for Crocheting a Baby Blanket?
What is the best yarn for crocheting a baby blanket? There is actually just one rule. The wool should be as soft as possible. The softer the yarn the better.
Baby double ply yarn is the most popular yarn that people are using for crocheting a baby blanket. However, sometimes these blankets aren’t thick enough. These are some of the yarn names that you can purchase to ensure that your baby blanket is as soft as possible.
- Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice
- Lion Brand Yarn Jiffy Thick and Quick Yarn
- Patons Silk Bamboo Yarn
- Knit Picks Comfy Fingering Yarn
- Bernat Baby Blanket Big Ball
- Bernat Softee Baby
Other Tips That You Should Remember When Crocheting a Baby Blanket
One thing you need to remember, that at the end of the day it is your creativity that counts. And, you should consider the size of the blanket that’s needed.
Sometimes parents prefer larger blankets to ensure that the baby is snuggle during the cold nights. You should consider your own discretion when you are crocheting a baby blanket. It can be any size you need.
If you are new to crocheting, you can always find a baby crochet blanket pattern online. This will make it so much easier to crochet your first blanket. There is a huge selection available.
What is a good size crochet blanket for a baby? It actually depends on the size and age of the baby. And, the purpose of the blanket. Different types of blankets have different sizes.
However, at the end of the day, it depends on you. This is your blanket and your creativity. You can make it as long as it needs to be. Many people will say that 34 inches by 46 inches are a perfect size, but we are saying that the size you decide on, is a perfect size.